The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.– Ellen Parr
Did I tell you I tested positive to COVID 19?
Ooh yes! I did test positive, and went on quarantine for two weeks. It was like hell, but guess what? At the end, it turned out rewarding because I discovered 20 ways to stay at home and not get bored.
I returned to my base on the 26th of August, and as a protocol I was to present to a nearby hospital where a nasopharyngeal swab was obtained.
The procedure was nasty; the nurse stuck a swab stick through my nose reaching the back of my throat. Honestly, it felt like someone drilled into my brain. However, I was not placed on medication as I had no symptoms.
Well, the hard part of testing positive was not just about the prolonged home stay but getting bored.
I therefore explored several measures, and at the end I was convinced of ways to stay out of boredom while on quarantine, lockdown or self isolation.
Here are activities to engage in, when Bored:
- Watch movies and TV shows – Give yourself permission to watch that show you have been yearning to watch.
- Brainstorm ideas relevant to your niche – Stimulate and give your brain the chance to come up with good ideas.
- Listen to music or podcasts – Try out some music apps like Spotify, and research some good podcast apps with contents best suited for you.
- Check Reddit or Pinterest for Inspiration – Find a niche of your interest and stay motivated. If you are the type that gets inspired with pictures, then Pinterest is your friend but if you want to find upcoming artists or youngsters in your niche try reddit.
- Checkout your favorite blogs – Discover more fascinating blogs you can frequently visit.
- Reply your emails – Give more time to learning how to improve on your email replies, tidy up your inbox. Take time to Check, respond and delete irrelevant emails, and most importantly block nauseating spam mails.
- Take photos – Yes, you can take selfies and learn how to edit them.
- Read books – Well, if you must know, I read some interesting books that have remained with me. Some of them include: Made to Stick by Chip Heath and Dan Heath, One Million Followers by Brendan Kane, Smart Money Moves for Grown Ups by Vinod Desai, just to mention but a few.
- Keep fit by Exercise – Excercise is very gainful. It sorts your back aches resulting from prolonged sitting and lying down. The best part of it is that you must not go to gym. There are lots of indoor activities like rope skipping and dancing to music, which appears to give the same result.
- Go for a walk – This is one of my very best tactics. You can try cycling as well. As a matter of fact, it is the time to let in the cool breeze and breath out the stress. It’s a proven method to clear your head and brainstorm new ideas.
- Dig out the old projects – Take to your shelves and wardrobes and try to find those old proposals that you dumped while you pursued a paid job. Maybe that is the best time to get them back to shape and see how better you are placed at achieving them.
- Catch up- Say “Hi” to your old friends. Check out those old pictures with them, the yearbook, and link up again for the purpose of connectivity and flow.
- Call home – Isolation or staying home in the 21st century does not mean you are cut off from family.
- Tidy your house – Repaint and redesign things around the house. This is definitely a time to put everything in their best order. Wash the dishes like never before and clear the drainage systems.
- Re-Work your CV and resume – Update and put it better.
- Prepare a special meal for yourself – Think of something you have never tried before. Check it out on YouTube and try to make it.
- Pray and Meditate more – See this crucial period as an opportunity to reconnect with your God, renew your mind and as well relax.
- Think of extra income – Ask yourself what others are doing to make extra income. There are a lot of options available online.
- Sleep more – Sleep remains very vital, so use the opportunity to recharge your energy.
- Learn new skills – There are lots of skills to learn indoors like bead making, Bakery etc. Just go for the ones you are passionate and enthusiastic about, that will sure add value to you.
Are there other things you might have found more useful during the lockdown?
Do let me know by sending in your comments. And do not forget to like and subscribe to my blog for more notifications.
Stay Safe and Motivated!!
Health and Life Coach.